Looks like when they said limited quantities they really meant limited quantities. The Woodcraft sale for the Delta 40-690 that I mentioned yesterday looks to be sold out with no back-orders.
Delta had introduced the model 40-695 late last year and I guess they are just clearing stock for the new model to hit the shelves. I talked to Delta and the new model won't be in the stores until April.
I have had reports that some people are still finding the model 40-690 available in their local Woodcraft stores so it might be worth a phone call to check local inventory.
The specs on the new model are very similar to the old one. The biggest difference appears that the upper arm has been redesigned to stay in the up position when changing blades. That's a nice addition.
Sorry for the late notice on this sale but at least a few of you were able to take advantage of the price.
Tuesday, January 31, 2012
Looks like when they said limited quantities they really meant limited quantities. The Woodcraft sale for the Delta 40-690 that I mentioned yesterday looks to be sold out with no back-orders.
Posted by Steve Good at 4:12:00 PM
The Delta 20" Model 40-690 scroll saw is currently available on sale for $349.99 at Woodcraft. The price includes the stand and light. The ad says the price runs through March 1, 2012 but quantities are limited.
If you are looking to upgrade from an entry level saw or are just getting started in the hobby this saw would be a good choice. The model 40-690 has a 20" throat capacity. It is variable speed and the table tilts 45 degrees left and right. All the controls are up front for easy access and blade changes are tool free and easy. It has a flexible dust blower. The table is large with lots of room in front of the blade to support your project while cutting. The build quality is very good and the saws weighs in at 83 lbs. The included stand and the heft of this saw help keep vibration low. The Delta comes with a nice lamp that can be easily positioned to make seeing the pattern line easier. One accessory that is not included but in my opinion a must is a foot switch. I like the dead mans style switch. The foot switch keeps your hand free to hold the project at all times.
I have used this saws cousin (DeWalt DW788) for years and it has proven to be reliable and accurate. The two saws are nearly identical except for the color scheme and branding.
If you are in the market for a new saw check this one out.
I received no compensation for this post. I just want to point out what I think is a good deal for those who might be interested.
Posted by Steve Good at 2:45:00 AM
Sunday, January 29, 2012
Friday, January 27, 2012
The following video is produced by Adrian Iredale. He shows how to make a wonderful keyed heart box without using a pattern. As always his presentation is smooth and easy to follow. Make sure you check out his YouTube channel to see all his videos. Thanks for posting such great videos Adrian.
Posted by Steve Good at 12:17:00 AM
Wednesday, January 25, 2012
Tuesday, January 24, 2012
Sunday, January 22, 2012
If you only receive the email newsletter please don't forget to visit the blog. You will find lots of extra content including helpful videos and software for your PC. We have the Community forum and the free pattern catalog.
I also sell the Jigsaw Puzzle Pattern book on the blog. You can create heirloom puzzles from your own photographs. Watch the video demonstration and then you can purchase the pattern book on the blog for only $7.
Posted by Steve Good at 3:57:00 AM
Saturday, January 21, 2012
Posted by Steve Good at 5:44:00 AM
Friday, January 20, 2012
Approximately 5 million to 7 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year, and approximately 3 million to 4 million are euthanized (60 percent of dogs and 70 percent of cats). If you want a pet please consider adoption. Visit your local shelter and find a friend for your family.
Posted by Steve Good at 1:55:00 AM
Thursday, January 19, 2012
Posted by Steve Good at 1:26:00 AM
Sunday, January 15, 2012
Sheila Landry designs has a wonderful set of patterns that would be great for Valentines Day or just about any occasion. The set contains patterns for 12 beautiful heart ornaments and pendants. Both sizes are included. These patterns are suited for the beginner or advanced scroller. The pattern book includes complete instructions including embellishing the piece with beads or stones.
She is offering the readers of the Scrollsaw Workshop this free sample. After you complete the sample you are going to want to go buy the rest of the set. Just jump over to Sheila Landry Design . The set is currently on sale for $5.95. I'm not sure how long this price will last so hurry on over.
One Man's Opinion:
If you have a display where you sell your scroll work I highly recommend you make this set. This is the perfect type of project to make for sale. The time to cut will be short. They will display nicely. You can make the project with inexpensive beads and sell them at a low price or buy nice stones for a richer look and price. You can use wood out of your scrap box. I do recommend using exotic or nice domestic wood for these if you plan to sell them. The main reason these will sell well is because Sheila is one of the few designers who has the woman's touch. many of her designs market well to women. Let's face it, women buy most of our work. If you don't market to women you likely won't sell much.
Posted by Steve Good at 10:56:00 PM
Saturday, January 14, 2012
This hummingbird sculpture is a combination of 2d and 3d scroll sawing. The flower is made using simple compound cuts and the hummer is cut from 1/8 inch thick Baltic birch ply.
The piece is delicate so I used a large solid base to give it some heft. I would not plan on trying to ship this piece. It would be very hard to get it there in one piece.
When you drill the hole to insert the bird in the flower notice the angle. He looks better flying higher so make sure you get that angle correct. The stem also sits a little angle in the base. It should angle back a little so it does not look droopy. Is droopy a word? :)
I told you earlier this week that I am on vacation. It's almost over and I actually got most of my to-do list completed. I got the shop mostly cleaned up. I rebuilt my computer room and I got a few patterns designed for you guys. I even took my wife to the movies and out to eat. Tomorrow she wants to go buy some furniture for the bedroom so I have managed to stay out of the dog house. That's what I call a good vacation. All of this came at the expense of not answering many emails so I'm sorry about that but I'll work on them a little at a time.
Posted by Steve Good at 4:04:00 AM
Friday, January 13, 2012
The picture above is a product by the name of filterAfan. I received the unit in the mail today and I'm so impressed with the product I wanted to share it with you guys. The product came to me from Bret Chilcott of filterafan.com. Bret is a woodworker who wanted to solve a problem that we all have. He wanted to control the dust in his shop and do it as inexpensively as possible.
His solution was to improve on the box fan filter many that of us have used for years. He designed a shroud for easy filter attachment and replacement. The filterAfan shroud will fit the Lasko model 3733 and the Galaxy model 4733 box fans sold in many stores.
Watch the video below to see my demonstration of the filterAfan. After watching the video jump over to filterafan.com and pick up one of these for yourself. You can purchase the shroud by it's self for $24.95. He also has package priced where you can purchase the shroud, fan and filter.
Posted by Steve Good at 2:53:00 AM
I want everyone to mark your calendars for the North Eastern Ohio Scrollers Picnin 2012. The event will be held Friday - Sunday May 4, 5 and 6. The location is the Richfield Ohio Days Inn and Conference Center. There will be vendors, demonstrations, seminars and a chance to meet new friends in the hobby.
Posted by Steve Good at 2:25:00 AM
Thursday, January 12, 2012
My vacation is half over and I have actually been able to get some things accomplished. I have almost completed my shop cleaning. I only have a little rearranging left to do. I decided to tear down my computer room and start over. The cables had gotten out of hand. I know this sounds crazy but you should have seen the mess. I've been in this computer room for about 9 years and have added and removed several computers, printers, monitors etc. The cable monster was starting to cause problems so I pulled them all out and started over. It's amazing how many cables I have no idea what they went to. I have 6 wall warts that I can't find the device they attached to. The good news is that all the computers are back up and running as of tonight.
This winter cleaning has me grossly behind on answering email. There are about 300 in my inbox. I'll try to start going through them tomorrow so please understand that I might not get to answer them all. I will read them.
I hope you enjoy this Valentine Plate. It's about 8 inches and can be cut from 3 layers of 1/4 inch thick wood.
Posted by Steve Good at 1:48:00 AM
Tuesday, January 10, 2012
Popular Woodworking Magazine is having a great giveaway. $6000 dollars worth of Jet power tools and Bessey clamps. The contest runs until June 30 2012. You can enter everyday to increase you chances of winning. If you share the contest with others you also receive extra entries. I entered and now I'm sharing the contest with you to increase my chances.
By entering you are signing up to receive their newsletter and agreeing to receive email from the contests prize providers. If you hate this type of email then don't sign up but they are great companies that sell products I like so I don't find that a problem. You can un-subscribe anytime. All the official rules are posted below.
Workshop Makeover Giveaway Official Rules
"WORKSHOP MAKEOVER GIVEAWAY" SWEEPSTAKES
NO PURCHASE OR SUBSCRIPTION NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
A PURCHASE OR SUBSCRIPTION WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
OFFERED ONLY IN THE UNITED STATES AND CANADA (EXCLUDING QUEBEC).
1. ELIGIBILITY: Open only to legal residents of the 50 United States, the District of Columbia and Canada (excluding Quebec) who have reached the age of majority in the participant's jurisdiction of residence at time of entry. Employees, officers and directors of F+W Media, Inc., ("Sponsor"), its promotional partners, their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and the immediate family members (spouses and parents, children and siblings and their spouses, regardless of where they live) or members of the same households (whether related or not) of such individuals (collectively, "Sweepstakes Entities") are not eligible. Void in Quebec and where prohibited by law. All federal, provincial, state and local laws and regulations apply.
2. TO ENTER: The "Workshop Makeover Giveaway" Sweepstakes ("Sweepstakes") begins on Dec. 1, 2011 and ends on June 30, 2012. To enter, go to http://popwood.com/winshop/ and access the Sweepstakes entry form. Complete the required information and submit your entry so that it is received by Sponsor's server by 11:59 PM ET on June 30, 2012 (an “Online Entry”). Limit one Online Entry per person/email address per day.
You may earn additional entries into the Sweepstakes by referring others to the Sweepstakes via the unique referral link (“personal sharing link”) that will appear on your computer screen after you have submitted your Sweepstakes entry. You will receive three bonus entries the first time each person you referred enters the Sweepstakes via your personal sharing link.
3. RANDOM DRAWING/PRIZES: On or about July 8, 2012, representatives of the Sponsor will conduct a random drawing to award one (1) Grand Prize: a Woodworker's Home Workshop valued at approximately US$6,000. Prize will consist of JET Tools: Table Saw, Planer, Band Saw, Dust Collector and Jointer; and Bessey Tools: K Body REVO Framing Kit, K Body REVO Extender Kit, 4-Piece "H" Style Pipe Clamp Set, 24 x 4" Light Duty Step-Over Clamps and Bar Clamp Assortment with Mobile Rack. If the person selected as the Grand Prize winner entered via the personal sharing link of another Sweepstakes entrant, the referring entrant will win a $200 book/DVD prize from ShopWoodworking.com.
4. ODDS OF WINNING/WINNER NOTIFICATION: Odds of winning will be determined by the number of eligible entries received. Winners will be notified by email, phone, postal mail and/or express mail at Sponsor's sole discretion. Residents of Canada, in order to win, must first correctly answer a mathematical skill-testing question administered by mail or e-mail at Sponsor's sole discretion. If a potential winner fails to respond within 10 days of Sponsor's notification attempt, the prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be selected at random from the remaining eligible entries. Grand Prize winner will be required to execute an affidavit of eligibility (or in Canada a Declaration of Compliance), release of liability and (where legal) publicity release, which must be returned within time period specified in notification letter or an alternate winner may be selected. Return of prize notification as undeliverable will result in disqualification and an alternate winner will be selected. No prize transfer or cash redemption. No prize substitution, in whole or in part, except by Sponsor due to prize unavailability or any other reason as solely determined by Sponsor in which case a prize of comparable or greater value will be awarded.
5. GENERAL: All federal, provincial, state and local taxes on prizes and all expenses related to acceptance and use of prizes, not otherwise specified, are the sole responsibility of winners. Winners of prizes valued at US$600 or more will be issued an IRS 1099 Form for the value of the prize. In the event of a Canadian winner, Sponsor will deduct any applicable withholding taxes imposed by the U.S. and applicable state governments from value of prize award and the value of the prize to be awarded will be adjusted accordingly. By participating, entrants agree [a] to these rules and decisions of Sponsor and judges, which shall be final in all respects relating to this Sweepstakes; and [b] to release, discharge and hold harmless Sweepstakes Entities from any and all injuries, liability, losses and damages of any kind resulting from their participating in the Sweepstakes or their acceptance, use or misuse of a prize including, without limitation, personal injury, death and property damage; and if a winner, [c] to permit Sweepstakes Entities to use his or her name, photograph, likeness, statements, biographical information, voice, voice likeness and city and state address for advertising, publicity and promotional purposes in all media, including but not limited to on air and online, in perpetuity, without compensation (unless prohibited by law) and agree to execute specific consent to such use upon request. Sweepstakes Entities are not responsible for and shall not be liable for: [a] electronic, hardware or software program, network, Internet, computer or other technical malfunctions, failures, or difficulties of any kind, including without limitation, server malfunction or by any human error which may occur in the collection, processing and transmission of data; [b] lost, late, misdirected, illegible or incomplete entries or postage-due mail; [c] any type of graphical or other error in the advertising or printing of the Sweepstakes or in the administration of the Sweepstakes; or [d] any condition that may cause the administration, security or proper play of the Sweepstakes to be disrupted or corrupted; and in such event Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to cancel or suspend the Sweepstakes or any portion thereof and to award the prize via a random drawing from among all eligible entries legitimately received prior to cancellation. Entry information becomes property of Sponsor.
CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE PROMOTION MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. Internet entry must be made by the entrant only at the authorized Web site address. Entries may not be made by any other individual or any entity, and/or originate at any other Internet Web site or e-mail address, including but not limited to commercial sweepstakes subscription notification and/or entering service sites. Any winner who enters by any of the methods described above will be disqualified and an alternate winner selected. In the event of a dispute regarding the identity of the person submitting an online entry, the entry will be deemed to be submitted by the person in whose name the e-mail account is registered at the time of entry. Potential winner may be required to provide evidence that winner is the authorized account holder of the e-mail address associated with the winning entry. Use of any device to automate entry is prohibited. Judge's decisions are final and binding.
The Sweepstakes and all of the related pages, contents and code are copyright, UPICKEM, and/or Popular Woodworking. Copying or unauthorized use of any copyrighted materials, trademarks or any other intellectual property without the express written consent of its owner is strictly prohibited. UPICKEM and Popular Woodworking are not responsible for Internet crashes or slowdowns caused by network congestion, viruses, sabotage, satellite failures, phone line failures, electrical outages, natural disasters or acts of man or God.
6. DISPUTE RESOLUTION/CHOICE OF LAW: Except where prohibited, by participating each entrant agrees that all issues and questions concerning these official rules shall be governed by Ohio law without giving effect to any principles of conflicts of law of any jurisdiction. Entrant agrees that any action at law or in equity arising out of or relating to this Sweepstakes shall be filed only in the state or federal courts located in Hamilton County in the state of Ohio, United States, and entrant hereby consents and submits to the personal jurisdiction of such courts for the purposes of litigating any such action. Except where prohibited, by participating in this Sweepstakes, entrant agrees that: [a] any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Sweepstakes shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action; and [b] any and all claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with participating in this Sweepstakes but in no event attorneys' fees; and [c] under no circumstances will any entrant be permitted to obtain awards for and hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental and consequential damages and any other damages, other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses, and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased.
8. WINNER LIST: To receive a winner list, mail a self-addressed, stamped envelope to be received by Sept. 30, 2012, to: "Workshop Makeover Giveaway" Winner, 700 E. State St., Iola, WI, 54990. (Residents of Canada may omit return postage.) List will be available after July 8, 2012.
SPONSOR: F+W Media, Inc., 4700 E. Galbraith Road, Cincinnati, OH 45326 USA
Posted by Steve Good at 1:09:00 PM
The Alabama Crimson Tide looked invincible today as they dismantled the LSU Tigers 21-0. Alabama's defense shut down the tigers offense. Field goals ruled the day with only one touchdown in the game. This is Alabama's second national title in the last three years. The SEC continues to rule in the BCS championship. There were a lot of pundits who thought Alabama did not deserve a shot at the title but that theory was put to rest with the solid beat down they put on the tigers. Congratulations to all the Alabama team and fans.
This congratulations clock requires a 2 3/4" clock insert. The hole is 2 3/8" diameter. You can purchase the clock insert here. You can obviously change the size of the hole and use any size fit up you like.
Posted by Steve Good at 3:32:00 AM
Monday, January 9, 2012
Sunday, January 8, 2012
For this project I purchased a 1/2 x 6 x 36 inch craft board from Lowes. It's a nice clear pine and it will make one basket for only five bucks.
I cut the board into 6 inch blanks. The pattern was cut and is ready to be applied to the boards.
I prepped all the blanks with blue painters tape. The tape makes the pattern easy to remove and also helps lubricate the blade. The small amount of lubrication helps prevent burning and also increases the life of the blade. I applied the patterns with spray adhesive over the blue tape.
Over at the drill press I drill all the entry holes. I use a 1/8" drill bit.
I cut the top and bottom parts first. I'm using a Flying Dutchman #3 scroll reverse blade.
Then all four rings were cut out. I like doing similar pieces one after the other because I can get a solid technique and stay consistent.
Now all the parts have been cut and sanded. I like to ease the edges of the top and bottom. You need to be careful with the rings while sanding. They are delicate.
It's time to start gluing and stacking the rings. Apply glue to the first ring and center it on the bottom.
Give the glue a few minutes to dry so the ring does not slide around while applying the next ring.
To achieve a basket weave pattern you need to alternate the rings as shown in the photo above.
Continue to glue and stack the rings. Only apply glue to the contact points of the rings. You don't want the exposed parts to be covered with glue.
The pattern has four rings. You can obviously make the basket taller by cutting more rings.
Apply glue to the top of the last ring and center the top. Take your time to make sure everything is centered and lines up well.
I apply a heavy weight to the basket and allow the glue to dry. I finish the basket with a bath in lemon oil. Once it dries I use spray acrylic to protect the wood and add a little sheen.
Posted by Steve Good at 4:28:00 AM
Heritage Wood Specialties. Scroll saw ready boards!
Heritage Wood Specialties is a nationally recognized supplier of superior quality hardwoods to fine woodworkers across the US and Canada. Novice hobbyists and experienced enthusiasts alike can enjoy the high quality woodworking materials and kits available from Heritage Wood Specialties. Great source for scroll saw ready boards.
Free Pattern Catalog. 1000's of free patterns.
Thousands of FREE scroll saw patterns. No registration or signup required.The projects form these patterns can be sold without restrictions. The patterns cannot be sold.
Wooden Vases on the Scroll Saw Book $12 Each
Watch the following video to see how easy these beautiful scroll saw vases
are to make.
CATALOG DVD $20+ Shipping
Do you want all the patterns available from the Scrollsaw Workshop? This DVD has every pattern published from 2007 thru 2016. This DVD has 1969 patterns. The DVD is $20 plus shipping to many countries in the world. Check the order page for details.
No returns are accepted. No refunds. Defective DVDs will be replaced.
Please watch the instruction videos to understand what you will receive.
Create a Family Heirloom. Download The Jigsaw Puzzle Template Book. Only $7.00
You will be directed to the download page after your purchase for instant download.This pattern book contains the following size patterns
5x5 25 piece
4x6 24 piece
5x7 35 piece
8x10 80 piece
4x6 96 piece
5x7 140 piece
8x10 320 piece
Order the $3 pdf Catalog
Scroll Saw Keychain Pattern Maker
Download the Oval Keychain Pattern Maker.
Charles Dearing Portrait Pattern DVD's
Philip Lowndes Noah's Arc Pattern Available. Watch the video below.
The Scrollsaw Workshop Blog is in no way affiliated with or sponsored by Scroll Saw Woodworking and Crafts Magazine formerly (Scroll Saw Workshop Magazine) or it's publisher Fox Chapel Publishing.
Scroll Saw Woodworking and Crafts