Steve had a way of telling the truth about the work—and about himself—that built a quiet trust between him and his readers. His observations were often simple and offered with humor, yet they carried a gentle invitation: to look honestly at our own work, accept where we were, and keep going.
Steve understood that growth required patience, perseverance, humility, and practice. Somehow, he tucked those lessons into each blog post and pattern without ever making them feel like lessons at all.
Tom’s story reflects this is such a beautiful way… as always, thanks you for writing in and sharing your stories.
What Steve meant to a Canadian Guy
"Steve was my first point of contact when I was beginning in this craft. His honesty and integrity were on full display every time I got to hear Steve’s thoughts and comments. I would like to thank him for all he gave to me. Through his words I learned and became more confident in his projects. Never asking for anything but, “ don’t sell my patterns “lol. He became my trusted source and although we never met…a trusted friend. Steve had no way of knowing how much he influenced me and how his words still echo in my mind today. With tears in my eyes I still can’t believe my friend, who I never met, is really gone.
I have received lots of praise for projects that Steve designed. He taught me patience and perseverance, both things I have taught my son as Steve taught me. Lots of Steve’s projects have been donated to people and organizations or charities free of charge as I never felt charging them was right. I think Steve would have liked that. I like to offer scrollsaw gifts to people at different holidays. I know their reactions are worth more than store bought “stuff”. My new workshop has a Scroll saw and Steve’s patterns are scattered throughout. There is one pattern I have hanging above all the others and I have enclosed a picture of it here.
Thanks again Bear woods for allowing me to share these words with you and Steve, I know you can see all now but look a little north and see just how far you’re influenced stretched.
From Canada with love and respect.
Thank you,"
Tom Bragg
Collingwood, Ontario, Canada















